91. What you do does not merely offend this Christ, but more importantly, offends the God in heaven. I think that this is not the purpose of your faith in God! You desire greatly for God to delight in you, yet you are very far away from God. What is the matter here? You accept only His words, yet not His dealing or pruning, much less His every arrangement. Moreover, you are unable to have complete faith in Him. What, then, is the matter here? Fundamentally, your faith is an empty eggshell that can never give rise to a chick. For your faith has not brought you the truth or gained you life, and has instead brought you an illusory sense of hope and support. The purpose of your faith in God is for this hope and support rather than for the truth and life. Therefore, I say that the course of your faith in God is none other than trying to gain the favor of God through servility and shamelessness, and can in no way be deemed a true faith. How can a chick appear from faith such as this? In other words, what fruit can such manner of faith bear? The purpose of your faith in God is to fulfill your motives through making use of God. Is this not further a fact showing your offense against the disposition of God? You believe in the existence of the God in heaven but deny that of the God on earth. However, I approve not of your views. I commend only those men who keep their feet on the ground and serve the God on earth, never those who never acknowledge the Christ on earth. No matter how loyal such men are to the God in heaven, in the end, they will not escape My hand that punishes the wicked. Such men are the wicked; they are the wicked ones who resist God and have never gladly obeyed Christ. Of course, their number includes all those who do not know and, further, do not acknowledge Christ.
from “How to Know the God on Earth” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
92. Many would rather be condemned to hell than to speak and act honestly. Little wonder that I have other treatment in place for those who are dishonest. Of course, I understand the great difficulty you face in being an honest man. You are all very clever and adept at judging others from your own perspective…. Some behave decently and particularly “well-mannered” in the presence of God, yet become defiant and unrestrained in the presence of the Spirit. Would you number such a man among the ranks of the honest? If you are a hypocrite and one who is adept at socializing, then I say that you are definitely one who trifles with God. If your words are riddled with excuses and valueless justifications, then I say that you are one who is very unwilling to practice the truth. If you have many unspeakable confidences and are very unwilling to lay bare your secrets—your difficulties—to others so as to seek the way of the light, then I say that you are one for whom salvation will not be easily received and who will not easily emerge from the darkness.
from “Three Admonitions” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
93. Your lips are kinder than pigeons but your heart is more sinister than the ancient serpent, even your lips are as beautiful as a Lebanese woman, but your heart is not as kind as that of the Lebanese women and it certainly cannot compare to the beauty of that of Canaanites. Your heart is too deceitful.
from “Your Character Is So Lowly!” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
94. Some people are always waving the flag of the church no matter what they do; the truth is that this is for their own benefit. That kind of person does not have the right kind of motive. He is crooked and deceitful and most of the things that he does are to seek his own personal benefit. That kind of person does not pursue loving God; his heart still belongs to Satan and cannot turn toward God. God has no way to obtain that kind of person.
from “Genuine Love for God Is Spontaneous” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
95. How big is the obstacle of man’s self-righteousness, complacency, self-satisfaction and arrogance? Who is to blame when you cannot enter reality? You should examine yourself carefully to see whether you are a correct person. Are your goals made with Me in mind? Do your words and actions stand in My presence? I examine all your thoughts. Do you not feel guilty? You put on a false front for others to see and you calmly assume an air of self-righteousness; this is done to shield yourself. You do this to conceal your evil, and even look for ways to push that evil onto someone else. What treachery dwells in your heart!
from Utterances and Testimonies of Christ in the Beginning
96. Many people behind Me covet the blessing of status, they gorge themselves on food, they love to sleep and give every care to the flesh, always afraid that there is no way out of the flesh. They do not perform their normal function in the church, and eat for free, or else admonish their brothers and sisters with My words, they stand up high and lord it over others. These people keep saying they are carrying out God’s will, they always say they are God’s intimates—is this not absurd? If you have the right motivations, but are unable to serve God’s will, then you’re being foolish; but if your motivations aren’t right, and you still say you serve God, then you are someone who opposes God, and you ought to be punished by God! I have no sympathy for such people! In the house of God they eat for free, and always covet the comforts of the flesh, and give no consideration to the interests of God; they always seek what’s good for them, they pay no heed to God’s will, all that they do is not looked upon by God’s Spirit, they’re always maneuvering and plotting against their brothers and sisters, and being two-faced, like a fox in a vineyard, always stealing grapes and trampling over the vineyard. Could such people be God’s intimates? Are you fit to receive God’s blessings? You take no responsibility for your life and the church, are you fit to receive God’s commission? Who would dare trust someone like you? When you serve like this, could God dare to entrust you with a greater task? Are you not delaying things?
from “How to Serve in Harmony With God’s Will” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
97. If man cannot express what he ought to express during service or achieve what is inherently possible for him, and instead fools about and goes through the motions, he has lost the function that a created being should have. This kind of man is considered a mediocre nonentity and useless waste of space; how can one such as this be dignified with the title of a created being? Are they not entities of corruption that shine on the outside but are rotten within? … If man fails to fulfill his duty, he ought to feel guilt and indebtedness; he ought to despise his weakness and uselessness, his rebelliousness and corruptness, and moreover, ought to sacrifice his life and blood for God. Only then is he a created being who truly loves God, and only such kind of man is worthy of enjoying the blessings and promise of God, and of being made perfect by Him. And what of the majority of you? How do you treat the God who lives among you? How have you done your duty before Him? Have you done all you were called upon to do, even at the expense of your own life? What have you sacrificed? Have you not received much from Me? Can you make the distinction? How loyal are you to Me? How have you served Me? And what of all that I have bestowed upon you and I have done for you? Have you taken measure of it all? Have you all judged and compared this with what little conscience you have within you? Who could you do right by with your words and actions? Could it be that such minuscule sacrifice of yours is worthy of all I have bestowed upon you? I have no other choice and have been wholeheartedly devoted to you, yet you harbor wicked misgivings about Me and are halfhearted. That is the extent of your duty, your only function. Is this not so? Don’t you know that you have not at all fulfilled the duty of a created being? How can you be considered a created being? Do you not clearly know what it is that you are expressing and living out? You have failed to fulfill your duty, but you seek to gain the mercy and bountiful grace of God. Such grace has not been prepared for ones as worthless and base as you, but for those who ask for nothing and gladly sacrifice. Such men as you, such mediocre nonentities, are not at all worthy to enjoy the grace of heaven. Only hardship and interminable punishment shall accompany your days!
from “The Difference Between the Ministry of the Incarnate God and the Duty of Man” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
98. God does not ask much of man. All that God asks of man is meant to be achieved easily and happily; it is just that man is unwilling to suffer hardships. Like children, they could live frugally to come up with a few pennies to honor their parents and fulfill the duty they ought to fulfill. Yet they fear that they won’t eat well enough and that their clothing will be too plain, so for one reason or another, they take their parents’ love and care and cast it far out into the clouds, as if they will start to do this after earning a great deal of money. But I can see from this that men do not have the filial piety of loving their parents—they are unfilial sons.
from “Interpretation of the Thirty-eighth Utterance” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
99. I’ve discovered that, regardless of what happens to them, or what they’re dealing with, people always protect their own interests and look out for their own flesh, and they always look for reasons or excuses that serve them. They are without the slightest truth, and everything they do is in order to justify their own flesh and in consideration of their own prospects. They all claim grace from God, trying to gain whatever advantage they can. And why do they make excessive demands of God? This proves that people are naturally greedy. They are not possessed of any sense before God, and in everything they do—whether they are praying or communing or preaching—in what they pursue, and in their inner thoughts and their desires, they make demands of God and claim things from Him, hoping to gain something from Him.
from “People Make Too Many Demands of God” in Records of Christ’s Talks
100. On what basis did people live before that? All people live for themselves. Every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost—this is the summation of man’s nature. Believing in God is done for oneself, and obtaining blessings is even more so. Casting things away for God, expending oneself for God, and being faithful to God—all of these are done for oneself. In sum, it is all for the purpose of gaining blessings for oneself. In the world, everything is for personal benefit. Believing in God is to gain blessings, and it is to obtain blessings that one casts off everything, and one can withstand much suffering in order to obtain blessings. This is all empirical evidence of man’s corrupt nature.
from “The Difference Between External Changes and Changes in Disposition” in Records of Christ’s Talks
101. You shut Me out for the sake of your children, or your husband, or your own self-preservation. Instead of caring about Me, you care about your family, your children, your status, your future, and your own gratification. When have you ever thought of Me as you spoke or acted? When the weather is cold, your thoughts turn to your children, your husband, your wife, or your parents. When the weather is hot, I hold no place in your thoughts, either. When you perform your duty, you are thinking of your own interests, of your own personal safety, of the members of your family. What have you ever done that was for Me? When have you ever thought of Me? When have you ever devoted yourself, at any cost, to Me and My work? Where is the evidence of your compatibility with Me? Where is the reality of your loyalty to Me? Where is the reality of your obedience to Me? When have your intentions not been for the sake of gaining My blessings?
from “You Should Seek the Way of Compatibility With Christ” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
102. I’m aware that your devotion and your sincerity are but temporary; aren’t your aspirations and the price you pay only for now and not then? You only want to exert one final effort to secure a beautiful destination. Your purpose is only to make a trade; it’s not so that you are not indebted to the truth, and it is particularly not to repay Me for the price I have paid. In a word, you are only willing to employ your cleverness, but you are unwilling to fight for it. Isn’t this your heartfelt wish? You must not disguise yourselves, and even more, must not rack your brains over your destination to the point that you are unable to eat or sleep. Isn’t it true that your destination will have been determined in the end?
from “On Destination” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
103. You have followed Me these many years, yet have never given Me an iota of loyalty. Rather, you have revolved around the people you love and the things that please you, so much so that they are kept close to your hearts and never forsaken, anytime, anywhere. When you are eager or passionate about any one thing that you love, it is always during the time that you are following Me, or even when you are listening to My words. So I say, you are using the loyalty that I ask of you, to instead be loyal to and cherish the objects of your affections. Though you may sacrifice a thing or two for Me, it does not represent your all, and does not show that it is Me to whom you are truly loyal. You involve yourselves in the undertakings which you are passionate about: Some are loyal to sons and daughters, others to husbands, wives, riches, work, superiors, status, or women. For that which you are loyal to, you have never felt wearied or annoyed; rather, you increasingly long to possess greater quantities and quality of the things to which you are loyal, and you have never despaired. Myself and My words are always pushed to the very last position in terms of things about which you are passionate. And you have no choice but to rank them last; some even leave the last place for something to be loyal to that they have yet to discover. They have never kept any amount of Me in their hearts.
from “To Whom Are You Loyal?” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
104. Perhaps you will think that I ask too much of you or wrongfully accuse you, but have you ever given thought to the fact that when you are happily spending time with your family, you have never once been loyal to Me? At times like this, does it not pain you? When your hearts are filled with joy receiving payment for your labors, do you not feel disheartened that you have not furnished yourselves with sufficient truth? When have you wept for not having received My approval? You rack your brains and take great pains for your sons and daughters, yet still you are not satisfied, still you believe that you have not been diligent toward them, that you have not devoted all of your effort. But to Me, you have always been remiss and careless, keeping Me only in your memories and not enduring in your hearts. My devotion and efforts forever go unfelt by you, and you have never tried to understand. You merely engage in brief reflection and believe that it will suffice. This manner of “loyalty” is not that which I have long yearned for, but that which has long been an abomination to Me.
from “To Whom Are You Loyal?” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
105. If I were to now place some riches in front of you and ask you to choose freely, knowing that[e] I would not condemn you, then most would choose the riches and forsake the truth. The better among you would give up the riches and reluctantly choose the truth, while those in between would seize the riches in one hand and the truth in the other. In this way, would your true colors not be self-evident? When choosing between the truth and anything to which you are loyal, you will all make such a decision, and your attitude will remain the same. Is that not so? Are there not many among you who fluctuated between right and wrong? In contests between positive and negative, black and white, you are surely aware of the choices that you made between family and God, children and God, peace and disruption, riches and poverty, status and commonness, being supported and being cast aside, and so on. Between a peaceful family and a broken one, you chose the former, and without any hesitation; between riches and duty, you again chose the former, even lacking the will to return to shore;[f] between luxury and poverty, you chose the former; between sons, daughters, wives, husbands, and Me, you chose the former; and between notion and truth, you once again chose the former. Faced with all manner of your evil deeds, I have nothing short of lost My faith in you. I am absolutely astounded that your hearts are so resistant to being softened. Many years of dedication and effort has apparently brought Me only resignation and your despair of Me. Yet My hopes for you grow with each passing day, for My day has already been completely laid out before every one. However, you continue to seek that which belongs to the darkness and evil, and refuse to loosen your hold. As such, what will be your outcome?
from “To Whom Are You Loyal?” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
106. During the time of My work, you always act against Me, you never comply with My words. I do My work, and you do your own work, you make your own little kingdom—you pack of foxes and dogs, everything you do is against Me! You’re always trying to bring those who love only you into your embrace—where is your reverence? Everything you do is deceitful! You have no obedience or reverence, everything you do is deceitful and blasphemous! Can such people be saved? Sexually immoral, lascivious men always want to pull those coquettish harlots to them for their own enjoyment. I will not save such sexually immoral demons, I hate you filthy demons, your lasciviousness and coquettishness have plunged you into hell—what have you to say for yourselves? You filthy demons and evil spirits are so heinous! You’re disgusting! How could such trash be saved? Could those ensnared in sin still be saved? These truths, this way, and this life hold no attraction to you; you’re attracted to sinfulness, to money, standing, fame and gain, the enjoyments of the flesh, the handsomeness of men and coquettishness of women. What qualifies you to enter My kingdom? Your image is even greater than God, your status is higher than God, to say nothing of your prestige among men—you have become an idol that people worship. Have you not become the archangel?
from “Practice (7)” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
107. It may be said that humans are worthless wretches because they do not treasure themselves. If they don’t even love themselves, but trample on themselves, doesn’t this show they are worthless? Mankind is like an immoral woman who plays games with herself and who gives herself willingly to others to be violated. But even so, they still do not know how lowly they are. They find pleasure in working for others, or in talking with others, putting themselves under the control of others; is this not truly the filthiness of mankind? … Because mankind does not know themselves, their greatest flaw is to willingly parade their charms before others, parading their ugly countenance; this is something God detests most. Because relations between people are abnormal, and there are no normal interpersonal relationships between people, much less do they have a normal[g] relationship with God.
from “Interpretation of the Fourteenth Utterance” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
108. You were separated out from mud and at any rate, you were selected from the dregs, filthy and hated by God. You belonged to Satan[h] and were once trampled upon and tainted by it. That is why it is said that you were separated out from mud, and you are not holy, but instead are non-human objects out of which Satan had long made fools. This is the most appropriate description for you. You must realize that you are impurities found in stagnant water and mud, as opposed to desirable catches like fish and shrimp, for no enjoyment can be derived from you. To put it bluntly, you are members of the lowest social class, animals worse than pigs and dogs. Frankly speaking, to address you in such terms is not overstatement or exaggeration, but it is a way to simplify the issue. To address you in such terms is actually a way to pay you respect. Your insight, speech, behavior as men, and all things in your life—including your status in the mud—are sufficient to prove that your identity is “extraordinary.”
from “What Are Man’s Inherent Identity and Their Worth” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
109. Is everything I do not for you? Yet always have you treated Me, Jehovah, in this way: stealing My sacrifices, taking the offerings of My altar home to feed the cubs and grandcubs in the wolf’s lair; people fight against each other, facing one another with angry glares and swords and spears, tossing the words of Me, the Almighty, into the latrine to become as filthy as excrement. Where is your integrity? Your humanity has become beastliness! Your hearts have long turned to stone. Do you not know that when My day of wrath arrives will be when I judge the evil you commit against Me, the Almighty, today? Do you think that by fooling Me in this way, by casting My words into the mire and not listening to them—do you think that by acting like this behind My back you can escape My wrathful gaze? Do you not know that you were already seen by the eyes of Me, Jehovah, when you stole My sacrifices and coveted My possessions? Do you not know that when you stole My sacrifices, it was before the altar to which sacrifices are offered? How could you believe yourselves clever enough to deceive Me in this way?
from “None Who Are of the Flesh Can Escape the Day of Wrath” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
110. You, stinking little worms who steal the offerings from My, Jehovah’s altar, can you rescue your ruined, failing names to become the chosen people of Israel? You are shameless wretches! Those sacrifices on the altar were offered up to Me by people, expressing benevolent feelings from those who fear Me. They are for My control and for My use, so how can you possibly rob Me of the little turtledoves given by people? Are you not afraid of being a Judas? Are you not afraid of your land becoming a field of blood? You shameless thing! You think that the turtledoves offered up by people are all to nourish the belly of you maggot? What I have given you is what I have been happy and willing to give you; what I have not given you is at My disposal, and you cannot just steal My offerings. The One who works is Me, Jehovah—the Lord of creation, and that people offer sacrifices is because of Me. Do you think it’s recompense for all the running around you do? You really are shameless! Who are you running around for? Isn’t it for yourself? Why do you steal My sacrifices? Why do you steal money from My money bag? Are you not the son of Judas Iscariot? My, Jehovah’s sacrifices, are to be enjoyed by the priests. Are you a priest? You dare to smugly eat My sacrifices and you even lay them out on the table; you are worth nothing! You worthless wretch! My, Jehovah’s fire will incinerate you!
from “When Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots You Will Regret All the Evil You Have Done” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
111. You believe in God yet do not know His will; you eat and drink the words of God yet are unable to keep the demands of God. You believe in God yet do not know Him, and live though you have no aim to strive for. You have no values and no purpose. You live as a man yet do not have any conscience, integrity, or the slightest credibility. How can you be considered a man? You believe in God yet deceive Him. Furthermore, you take the money of God and eat of His offerings, yet, in the end, show no consideration for God’s feelings or conscience toward God. Not even the most trivial of God’s demands can you meet. So how can you be considered a man? The food you eat and air you breathe come from God, you enjoy His grace, yet in the end, you do not have the slightest knowledge of God. On the contrary, you have become good-for-nothings that oppose God. Are you not then a beast no better than a dog? Are there any among animals more malicious than you?
from “All Who Do Not Know God Are Those Who Oppose God” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
112. His entire life is one of anguish, and rushing about, and fun added to emptiness, and in his whole life there are no new inventions and creations. No one is able to extricate themselves from this hollow life, no one has ever discovered a life of meaning, and no one has ever experienced a real life.
from “The Twenty-fifth Utterance” of God’s Utterances to the Entire Universe in The Word Appears in the Flesh
113. I made all things, I created mankind, and today I have descended among man. Man, however, hits back at Me, and takes revenge on Me. Is the work I do upon man of no benefit to him? Am I really incapable of satisfying man? Why does man reject Me? Why is man so cold and indifferent toward Me? Why is earth covered with corpses? Is this really the state of the world I made for man? Why is it that I have given man incomparable riches, yet he offers Me two empty hands in return? Why does man not truly love Me? Why does he never come before Me? Have all My words really been for nothing? Have My words vanished like heat from water? Why is man unwilling to cooperate with Me? Is the arrival of My day really the moment of man’s death? Could I really destroy man at the time when My kingdom is formed? Why, during My entire management plan, has no one ever grasped My intentions? Why, instead of cherishing the utterances from My mouth, does man loathe and reject them? I condemn no one, but merely cause all people to calm down and carry out the work of self-reflection.
from “The Twenty-fifth Utterance” of God’s Utterances to the Entire Universe in The Word Appears in the Flesh
114. The country that we were born in is the gathering ground of many unclean spirits, and therefore they run rampant and seek dominance in this land. This has led to the sullying of those who were born here. People’s habits, customs, and ideas and concepts are backward and old-fashioned, so they form all sorts of notions about God which so far they have been unable to shake off. In particular, they act one way in front of God and act in another way behind His back, mistaking enshrining Satan for serving God. This is a display of being most backward.
from “The Path … (2)” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
115. People who have been bound by Satan for several thousand years have continued to live under its influence and have not thrown it off. They have continued to bitterly grope and struggle. In the past they would burn incense, and bow to and enshrine Satan, and they were tightly bound to family and secular entanglements as well as social interactions. They were unable to throw them off. In this kind of dog-eat-dog society, where can anyone find a meaningful life?
from “The Path … (2)” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
116. Not a day goes by that God doesn’t call out to His people who are slumbering to save them, but they are all in a state of sluggishness as if they had taken sleeping pills. If He does not rouse them for even a moment they return to their state of sleep, with no awareness. It seems that all of His people are two-thirds paralyzed. They don’t know their own needs or their own deficiencies, or even what they should wear or what they should eat. It shows that the great red dragon has put forth a great deal of effort to corrupt people. Its ugliness extends throughout every region of China. It has even made people vexed and unwilling to stay any longer in this decadent, vulgar country. What God hates most is the essence of the great red dragon, which is why He reminds people in His wrath every single day, and people live under the eye of His wrath every day. Even so, the majority of people still don’t know to seek God, but they just sit there watching and wait to be hand-fed. Even if they were starving to death they wouldn’t be willing to go find their own food. People’s consciences were long ago corrupted by Satan and changed in essence to become cold-heartedness. No wonder God said: “Had I not prompted you, you would still not have awakened, but would have remained as if in a frozen state, and again, as if in a state of hibernation.” It’s as if people were like animals in hibernation who were passing the winter and did not ask to eat or drink; this is precisely the current condition of God’s people….
from “Interpretation of the Thirteenth Utterance” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
117. Man is unwilling to pursue God, unwilling to spend his belongings for God, and unwilling to devote a lifetime’s effort to God, and instead says that God has gone too far, that too much about God is at odds with man’s conceptions. With a humanity like this, even if you were unstinting in your efforts you would still be unable to gain God’s approval, to say nothing of the fact that you don’t seek God. Do you not know that you are the defective goods of mankind? Do you not know that no humanity is more lowly than yours? Do you not know what your “honorific title” is? Those who truly love God call you the father of the wolf, the mother of the wolf, the son of the wolf, and the grandson of the wolf; you are the descendants of the wolf, the people of the wolf, and you should know your own identity and never forget it. Do not think that you are some superior figure: You are the most vicious group of non-humans among mankind. Do you not know any of this?
from “To Have an Unchanged Disposition Is to Be in Enmity to God” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
118. What you see today is merely the sword of My mouth. You have not seen the rod in My hand or the flame with which I burn man, and that is why you are still haughty and intemperate in My presence. That is why you still fight with Me in My home, disputing that which I have told you. Man does not fear Me. Being at enmity with Me until today, he still has no fear at all. You have the tongue and the teeth of the unrighteous in your mouth. Your words and deeds are like those of the serpent which enticed Eve into sinning. You demand from each other an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and you contend for your position, fame, and profit in My presence, yet you do not know that I am secretly watching your words and deeds. Before you even come into My presence, I have known your mind through and through. Man always wishes to escape from My hand and avoid the observation of My eyes, but I have never avoided his words or deeds. Instead, I purposefully allow them to reach My eyes so that I may chastise his unrighteousness and judge his rebellion. Thus, man’s hidden words and deeds are always placed before My judgment seat, and it has never left man, because his rebellion is too much.
from “The Work of Spreading the Gospel Is Also the Work of Saving Man” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
119. Did you ever realize what you are doing today—namely, rampaging through the world, scheming against each other, deceiving each other, behaving treacherously, secretively and shamelessly, not knowing the truth, being crooked and deceitful, practicing flattery, considering yourselves as always right and better than others, being arrogant, and acting savagely like wild animals in mountains and rough like the king of the beasts—is this the likeness of a human being? You are rude and unreasonable. You have never regarded My word as treasure, but instead you have adopted a contemptuous attitude. This way, where would achievement, a true human life, and beautiful hopes come from? Will your extravagant imagination really rescue you from the tiger’s mouth? Will it really rescue you from the burning fire? Would you have fallen to this point if you had really regarded My work as priceless treasure? Could it be that your fate truly cannot be changed? Are you willing to die with such regret?
from “The Essence and Identity of Man” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
120. Cruel, brutal mankind! The conniving and intrigue, the jostling with each other, the scramble for reputation and fortune, the mutual slaughter—when will it ever end? God has spoken hundreds of thousands of words, yet no one has come to their senses. They act for the sake of their families, and sons and daughters, for their careers, prospects, status, vanity, and money, for the sake of clothes, for food and the flesh—whose actions are truly for the sake of God? Even among those whose actions are for the sake of God, there are but few who know God. How many do not act for the sake of their own interests? How many do not oppress and discriminate against others for the sake of maintaining their own status? Thus, God has been forcibly condemned to death innumerable times, countless barbaric judges have condemned God and once more nailed Him to the cross. How many can be called righteous because they truly act for the sake of God?
from “The Wicked Must Be Punished” in The Word Appears in the Flesh